Monday, June 18, 2012

“…alone here in the wilderness, at the center of things, where all that is most significant takes place.” - Ed Abbey

Yep, two Ed Abbey quotes in a row.  But I was in the desert this weekend...so is there any better person to quote?

Had a fantastic adventure to Joshua Tree NP this weekend. Rented a car on Friday, drove up Saturday.  Leaving Santa Monica it was 66 degrees, and later that day in J-Tree it hit 111.  Yeowsa.  14 miles of hiking, a spectacular night sky, sleeping on a picnic table (tent didn't fit in my suitcase...), and even side trips to a inland sea and a huge painting, both of which aren't supposed to be there.  It was so quiet that I could hear the water in my nalgene slosh around, which made me jump out of my skin at one point when I had stopped walking and thought someone was right behind me!

Some highlights:
On top of Ryan Mountain: 5400 ft.  



Joshua Trees!


Sunrise on Sunday morning.




Last 0.1 mi to the top says "Trail not maintained." What to do?

Climb it. Duh.

Salvation Mountain.  Middle of nowhere, CA.
There are actually stairs on the right you can climb up.  It felt like being in the Candyland board game.

They are building a "museum" off to the right, using hay bales, mud, tree branches, and paint. I felt like I had stepped inside a Dr. Seuss book.  
Tilt your head right...




Last stop was the Salton Sea, which is more saline than the Pacific Ocean.  It was a weird place.  Fish skeletons everywhere, fish bones underfoot instead of sand.  



















A great adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment