Friday, June 22, 2012

"It's only half-past twelve but I don't care. It's five o'clock somewhere."

I have been reading a ton today to put our weekly newsletter together and keep up with the happenings in Rio, so I thought I'd share some of my favorite links of the day.

In honor of the Rio Earth Summit wrapping up today in Brazil, I thought I'd share an interesting collage of graphics that Al Jazeera put together about global CO2 emissions.  What I found really striking is the difference in comparing the world's largest CO2 emitters, flat rate, (US and China) to the emissions per capita.  When comparing CO2 to person, the US drops to #9 and China is not even in the top 10.

One of the COOLEST things I've found this week is this wind map. It updates regularly to show the current wind patterns and intensities in the US.  It is totally mesmerizing.....beware.

The plot has thickened into what exactly started the cholera epidemic in Haiti in 2010.  It's been pretty accepted now that UN soldiers from Nepal contaminated water supplies and started the epidemic, but now researchers are saying it's not that simple.  It's so striking to me that at one end of this problem, identifying the source of the problem (who's at fault), we are using such cutting edge technology and gene mapping, while at the other end of the problem - prevention and treatment of cholera -  we're stalled, even though we've understood how to treat and prevent cholera for much longer than we've known how to isolate bacterial strains.

Happy weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment